TI introduces PurePath Wireless audio products with USB support
CC8521 and CC8531 solutions deliver uncompressed wireless audio capabilities to PCs, TVs, gaming and other consumer applications with USB ports
DALLAS (October 20, 2011) – Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) today introduced two system-on-chip (SoC) solutions in the PurePath Wireless audio product family, aimed at delivering uncompressed, CD-quality wireless multichannel and multipoint audio streaming capabilities to consumer applications with USB ports, such as PCs, TVs, set top boxes, game consoles and more. The new single-chip CC8521 and CC8531 solutions contain USB audio support for all major operating systems and can enable streaming of up to four simultaneous audio channels from one USB audio source. Together with a corresponding USB dongle reference design, the new PurePath Wireless products allow developers to design low-cost, small USB dongles for wireless audio applications, without code development or in-depth understanding of USB protocols. The CC8521 and CC8531 SoC solutions will be demonstrated during AES New York, October 20 to 23 in TI booth #847. For complete details, visit www.ti.com/purepathwireless-pr.
“By adding USB support to our PurePath Wireless audio solutions, we’re making it easier than ever before for manufacturers to deliver wireless speaker systems, headsets and headphones with high-quality audio,” said Erling Simensen, product marketing manager, wireless audio, TI. “With these products at hand, end users can easily add multichannel wireless audio functionality to the vast number of end equipments with USB ports, adding a new dimension to their listening experience.”
Key features and benefits: TI’s CC8521 and CC8531 PurePath Wireless audio solutions
- Out-of-the-box unwiring of headsets and speakers for PC, TV, gaming and set-top boxes
- USB audio support for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Ubuntu
- Requires no code development or in-depth understanding of USB protocol
- Low cost
- Single-chip solutions
- Small-size USB dongle reference design with low bill-of-material cost
- No software development required: Free Configurator PC software tool
- High quality of service for digital wireless audio transmission:
- 16 bit / 44.1/48 KHz uncompressed audio with no unwanted noise or dropouts
- Best-in-class coexistence with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth® technology and other 2.4-GHz devices
- Low audio latency (20ms) distributed audio clock for synchronized wireless speakers
- Compatible with TI CC2590 range extender
Tools, availability, packaging and price
The CC8521 and CC8531 are available today from TI and through authorized TI distributors. The CC8521 and CC8531 are packaged in a ROHS-compliant, 6 mm x 6 mm QFN-40. Pricing starts at $4.25 in 1,000-unit quantities. The CC85X1USB-RD USB dongle reference design is available for free on TI’s website.
The CC85XXDK development kit provides all hardware and software necessary to evaluate the CC8521 and CC8531. This kit is available on TI’s e-store for USD $299. Additionally, a CC85XXDK-HEADSET development kit is available today for USD $149 on TI’s e-store, and comes with a free reference design for wireless headsets.